If you are in a hurry and just want to find out which is the Best Gooseneck Kettle, I’d recommend the Fellow Stagg EKG as the best one.
Is a Gooseneck Kettle Worth it?
If you’ve seen our Bon Vivant Caffè logo, you know that we love gooseneck kettles. I will be honest with you. Pour-over coffee kettles are cute, but they aren’t necessary for most brewing methods.
Nonetheless, if you’re planning to become a master of filter coffee, you won’t achieve the best pour-over coffee cup without a good gooseneck kettle.
Kettles on the market have many different prices. However, the best ones for filter coffee have a narrower price range. At the highest price point, you’ll find electrick kettles with a gooseneck spoout, a built-in thermometer, and a temperature gauge.
The Gooseneck spout brings the flow rate control necessary to make pour-over coffee. When preparing coffee with any pour-over device, like the Chemex or the V60, water flow control determines how water and coffee mix. So, the pour-over coffee kettle is entirely functional.
A regular kettle, even an electric one, won’t offer you the control you need to replicate most recipes. The most crucial features to take into account here are:
- Gooseneck spout
- Built-in thermometer with an easy-to-read temperature gauge
- Stainless steel body
Electric gooseneck kettles with variable temperature control are the state of the start for pour-over coffee brewing. They empower you to decide the most relevant aspects without excessive hassle. Because of this, I chose three electric ones with built-in thermometers.
However, the best electric gooseneck kettles can be pricey and won’t work for most camping and outdoor enthusiasts. Moreover, I have found that filter brewing methods are a very relaxing outdoor activity. Therefore, I reviewed both electric and stovetop gooseneck kettles.
In this article, we are breaking down the Best Pour-Over Kettles, and in the end, we will choose the winner.
Here we have the Gooseneck Kettles we’ll be reviewing:
- Fellow Stagg EKG
- OXO BREW Adjustable Temperature Electric Pour-Over Kettle
- Bonavita 1.0 L Variable Temperature Electric Kettle
- Barista Warrior Stainless Steel Pour Over Kettle with Thermometer
- Coffee Gator True Brew Coffee Kettle
Is an Electric Kettle essential for making pour over coffee?
Although a recent study has shaken our beliefs regarding the importance of water temperature for pour-over coffee, we know it’s relevant. So, temperature control is crucial. Nonetheless, electric coffee kettles are more convenient than absolutely necessary.
If you want to make great pour-over coffee, you definitely want to have an adjustable temperature gooseneck kettle. However, a built-in thermometer is more important for this, than automatic temperature control.
The impact that water temperature has on flavor is pretty evident if you taste a cold brew prepared with a FrankOne and compare it with a hot coffee brewed with a Hario V60. With more subtle differences, the resulting cup can display features due to the brewing water temperature.
“When brewing coffee from high-quality green, developed well but roasted very lightly, near-boiling temperatures seem best” – Scott Rao.
Many coffee snobs out there claim that excessively high temperatures (over 100°C/212°F) can scorch your precious coffee. However, as James Hoffman claims, it is more likely that boiling water over-extracts coffee, bringing to life undesirable flavors and aromas. The latter can occur even with slightly lower temperatures if you use dark roasts or not top-quality coffee beans.
In short, the hotter the water, the higher the extraction, for better or for worse. The tricky bit about it is that not all of the great flavors inside a coffee bean get out at the same temperature, so it’s quite challenging to obtain consistent brews if you don’t know how hot your water was when preparing your coffee.
Furthermore, you will find dozens of recipes that consider different water temperatures. It isn’t only because hipsters love their coffee kettles. On the contrary, it is easy to explain why. The acidity, sweetness, and bitterness inside coffee beans come out in different proportions depending on the water temperature.
If you want to learn more about increasing specific notes in your coffee, then an Electric Gooseneck Kettle with temperature control is a must for you.
In short, the benefits of an electric pour-over kettle with a built-in thermometer are:
- Accurate and convenient temperature readings that help you try different filter coffee recipes.
- You can get hot water quickly and easily.
Should I buy a Gooseneck Coffee Kettle?
Putting it simply, you need a Gooseneck Kettle if:
- You are serious about pour-over coffee.
- You want to try different brewing recipes.
- You are ready to spend more money on a peculiar kettle.
A Gooseneck Kettle doesn’t add any significant value to other brewing methods like the French Press and the Aeropress, which don’t require a steady water flow over a ground coffee bed.
Moreover, although you could find electric kettles more convenient, I must tell you that stovetop gooseneck kettles are more affordable than electric ones. To be more precise, I included both electric and stovetop pour-over kettles. However, all of them have a built-in thermometer as controlling temperature is essential to make good pour-over coffee.
Best Gooseneck Kettles
Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Pour-Over Kettle
The Fellow brand is one of my personal favorites because it offers top quality, innovative design, and excellent customer service. Moreover, with their Fellow Stagg EKG Electric pour-over kettle, they offer outstanding aesthetics and functionality.
- Accurate temperature control is a useful feature for an electric kettle. The temperature gauge is easy to read, and most users claim that its built-in thermometer is very precise.
- Most users assert that it heats the water quickly.
- It’s gorgeous and comes in different colors, although the most prevalent is the matte black version. Still, it’s great for people who love the aesthetics behind creating a beautiful coffee brewing setup with matching colors.
- Excellent Customer Service – Most users claim that Fellow’s customer service is outstanding. It’s a significant feature considering its high price point.
- It’s impossible to ignore that this kettle can cost twice and even three times more than other decent and even suitable kettles with similar features. We admit that it looks great and creates a high-end atmosphere around it. That’s impossible to overlook. However, the price can seem unnecessarily high, as many users claim.
- Several users complain about a few relevant functionality issues. This kettle doesn’t beep when it reaches the desired temperature, and it can glitch when it has a low level of water. I got absorbed by my morning coffee ritual, so I don’t find any trouble with the lack of notifications, but many users report it as a problem.
OXO is another favorite brand for coffee lovers. Their Electric Gooseneck Kettle looks elegant, and according to most users, it has a superior performance and build-quality.
- Most users claim that it’s easier to control the pour with this kettle, thanks to its gooseneck spout design. Furthermore, it’s slightly heavier than most kettles, which helps to balance it easier.
- The build quality is impressive. There isn’t almost any plastic part in contact with water, and overall it’s mostly steel-made. Additionally, it’s easy to clean thanks to its wide lid opening.
- The user experience with temperature control is outstanding. I love this feature because pour-over coffee requires a lot of attention to detail, and I value having a thoroughly pleasant experience. The temperature gauge, the built-in timer, and the dial are sleek. Finally, it beeps when reaching the desired temperature. Many users value this feature.
- The warranty and customer service are a plus. Most users feel happy about it. OXO tends to offer an extended warranty and excellent customer service.
- Compared with the Bonavita and other decent kettles, the OXO BREW has a hefty price-tag. I would consider it as an excellent alternative to the pricier Fellow Stagg EKG. However, it is still more expensive than most Gooseneck Kettles.
- You’ll need to be very careful with the water level. Many users claim that the lid can move if you pour over too quickly. Furthermore, water can leak through it when it’s full. So, I would recommend avoiding filling it to the top to prevent undesired risks.
The first time I brewed coffee with a V60, I used a Bonavita Electric Kettle. I must confess that I didn’t love the way it looks, but it’s straightforward to handle, comfortable, and functional.
- It’s safe and comfortable. I don’t love how the handle looks, but it works. It doesn’t matter how hot the water is. The handle protects your hand very well. Additionally, it’s relatively easy to use. I would still emphasize that pour-over with a pour-over coffee kettle requires patience and skill.
- The Bonavita offers all you need as its most basic. When we used our checklist, we marked all of the critical features for the Bonavita Electric Kettle. Its built-in thermometer is reliable, has a built-in timer, and heats water quickly. Additionally, a 1-liter capacity is enough, even for small groups.
- A great plus is the preset temperature feature because it grants consistency once you find your favorite coffee recipes.
- It doesn’t look great. Perhaps it’s because of the plastic handle, which is very good to protect our hands. Yet, I know that I don’t love the way it looks. Additionally, the panel looks a bit vintage. Overall, if you want to build a nice coffee brewing bar at home, I wouldn’t recommend the Bonavita Electric Kettle.
- For some reason, there is plastic inside the kettle. Although we are sure that’s safe, we don’t love the idea. Moreover, many users complain about it as the plastic parts in contact with the water seem to deteriorate over time.
- Some users complain about a rusting issue. It’s surprising, but I have seen several “stainless steel” kitchenware presenting this issue. While some users complain about limescale, I suspect that it depends more on the water quality than the kettle alone. Yet, Bonavita recommends descaling the Electric Kettle periodically.
It offers a more traditional looks, with a neat build and performance. The Barista Warrior brand is a newcomer in the Specialty Coffee Arena, but it provides one of the best stovetop gooseneck kettles in the market.
- It can work on stovetops and induction hot plates. Versatility is a very nice feature, as a gooseneck kettle can be a lifetime investment. And don’t forget that this kettle is great to go outdoors.
- Sturdy and high-quality construction. Most details are in place, and users claim it’s quite durable and reliable. Its solid bottom holds the temperature long enough for a good pour-over brewing experience.
- It weighs about 1.6 pounds, which is very good for camping and traveling.
- The thermometer doesn’t resist too much steam. Many users complain that plastic on top of the thermometer melts. Arguably, it’s better to avoid boiling temperatures with this or any kettle, as most brewing recipes recommend between 197 °F (92 °C) and 205 °F (96° C). However, we would expect that some steam shouldn’t wear or damage anything in the kettle.
- Several users claim that the lid gets too hot. It can be pretty awkward, as most of us learn to hold the top of the kettle with the supporting hand, so you’ll need a heat resistant mitt to handle it.
It has a unique design, with significant modifications and a sturdy build.
- It’s designed to be filled and check the temperature smoothly. This feature adds superior functionality for a relatively affordable and straightforward pour over kettle.
- The silicone sleeve includes lots of comfort and safety. Most users claim that it’s high quality and very helpful.
- It can work in most kitchens, like stovetops, gas, ceramic, and induction ones – among others.
- It can be hard to clean, as the thermometer can get in the way when trying to reach the insides to wipe it thoroughly.
- The handle tends to get hot when the kettle is full, according to several users. Yet, as with any stovetop brewing device, it’s better to avoid large stove eyes and a high flame. I burned dozens of kitchenware handles, making that mistake. My victims include Moka pots, pans, and kettles, among others. I wouldn’t blame the manufacturer for that, but it’s something worth mentioning.
My clear favorite and winner is the Fellow Stagg EKG because it offers an outstanding balance between elegant design, functionality, and performance. Yet, as pricey as it is, the best alternative is the OXO BREW, which is more affordable and still offers great features.
Overall, any of the selected kettles can deliver at least a decent performance brewing pour-over coffee. They offer good build-quality and allow to control temperature, with a wide range of features. Yet, both of these critical features are superbly displayed by the Fellow Stagg EKG, with the OXO BREW as a close contender.
As with anything, I would recommend you to choose following your heart between these two. Or just pick the one you think that looks better!
Both are good more than enough.