If you are in a hurry and just want to find out which is the Best Gooseneck Kettle, I’d recommend the Fellow Stagg EKG as the best one.
Is a Gooseneck Kettle Worth it?
Most people think about the typical home barista and visualize immediately an espresso machine and a powerful grinder. Yet, drippers are an excellent alternative for coffee lovers.
Filter brewing methods are a sweet combination of art and science. They require practice to master both the principles and the techniques. If you want to learn more about the best tips to improve your coffee game, I wrote a piece about it.
Regarding kettles, pour-over ones are impressive and many people use them to impress their friends. I can’t blame them, but the truth is that they aren’t necessary for most brewing methods. The peculiar spout allows precise water flow rate control, which is very important to brew coffee with a dripper.
What’s the point of a gooseneck kettle?
If you’re planning to become a master of drippers, you won’t achieve a great cup of pour-over coffee without the best pour-over kettle for you.
Kettles on the market have many different prices. However, the best ones have a narrower price range. At the highest price point, you’ll find electric kettles with a gooseneck spout, a built-in thermometer, a stainless steel body, and a temperature display or a gauge.
The Gooseneck spout brings the flow rate control necessary to make pour-over coffee. When preparing a cup of coffee with any pour-over device, like the Chemex or the V60, water flow control determines how water and coffee mix. So, the gooseneck kettle is entirely functional.
A regular kettle, even an electric one, won’t offer you the control you need to replicate most recipes. The most crucial features to take into account here are:
- Built-in thermometer with an easy-to-read temperature gauge or display
- Gooseneck spout
- Stainless steel body
- Safe and comfortable handle
Electric gooseneck kettles with variable temperature control are the state of the art for making filter coffee. They empower you to decide the most relevant aspects without any hassle. Because of this, I chose three electric ones with built-in thermometers.
However, the best electric gooseneck kettles can be pricey and won’t work for most camping and outdoor enthusiasts. Moreover, I have found that filter brewing methods are a very relaxing outdoor activity. Therefore, I reviewed both electric and stovetop gooseneck kettles.
In this article, we are breaking down the Best Pour-Over Coffee Kettles, and in the end, we will choose the winner.
Here we have the Gooseneck Kettles we’ll be reviewing:
- Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Pour-Over Kettle For Coffee and Tea
- OXO BREW Adjustable Temperature Electric Pour-Over Kettle
- Bonavita 1.0 L Variable Temperature Electric Gooseneck Kettle
- Brewista Artisan Gooseneck Variable Kettle, 1.0L, Stainless Steel
- OVALWARE Electric Pour-Over Kettle with Temperature Control for Coffee and Tea
- COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets
- Barista Warrior Stainless Steel Pour Over Kettle with Thermometer
- Coffee Gator True Brew Kettle
Are Electric Kettles Better than Stovetop kettles?
I’ll be straightforward: electric coffee kettles are more convenient than necessary. Any electric kettle can heat water quickly, comfortably, and safely. Yet, more than that, I prefer electric kettles that have a built-in thermometer and some sort of temperature control.
The difference between the heating functions among kettles is a matter of a couple of minutes. Yet, quick boiling isn’t the most important for drip coffee.
Inside the Specialty Coffee World, most experts agree on the relevance of water temperature to extract flavors and aromas from ground coffee. Learning to manage grind sizes, brew ratio, and water temperature is crucial to achieving a better-tasting coffee.
However, a recent study has shaken our beliefs regarding the importance of water temperature for pour-over coffee. Still, we know it’s relevant.
Do we need a variable temperature kettle?
Temperature control is crucial to replicate most filter coffee recipes, which might be the main reason you’re interested in getting a pour-over kettle in the first place.
If you want to make great pour-over coffee, you definitely want to have an adjustable temperature gooseneck kettle. Automatic temperature control is a great feature because you can set the temperature and wait a few minutes. It’s way more comfortable than staring at a stovetop kettle.
But, when we talk about crucial features, a built-in thermometer with an accurate and easy-to-read temperature display is essential.
The impact that water temperature has on flavor is pretty evident if you taste a cold brew and compare it with a hot cup of coffee. Even with more subtle differences, you’ll notice that coffee changes its taste and aroma depending on water temperature.
“When brewing coffee from high-quality green, developed well but roasted very lightly, near-boiling temperatures seem best” – Scott Rao.
Many coffee snobs out there claim that excessively high temperatures (over 100°C/212°F) can scorch your precious coffee. However, as James Hoffman claims, it is more likely that boiling water over-extracts coffee, bringing to life undesirable flavors and aromas. The latter can occur even with slightly lower temperatures if you use dark roasts or not top-quality coffee beans.
In short, the hotter the water, the higher the extraction, for better or for worse. The tricky bit about it is that not all of the great flavors inside a coffee bean get out at the same temperature, so it’s quite challenging to obtain consistent brews if you don’t know how hot your water was when preparing your coffee.
Furthermore, you will find dozens of recipes that consider different water temperatures. It isn’t only because hipsters love their kettles. On the contrary, it is easy to explain why. The acidity, sweetness, and bitterness inside coffee beans come out in different proportions depending on the water temperature.
If you want to learn more about increasing specific notes in your coffee, then an Electric Gooseneck Kettle with temperature control is a must for you.
In short, the benefits of an electric pour-over kettle with a built-in thermometer are:
- Accurate and convenient temperature readings that help you try different filter coffee recipes.
- You can get hot water quickly and easily.
- Reduce risks related to forgotten burning kettles (sad but true)
Should you buy a Gooseneck Pour-Over Kettle?
Putting it simply, you need a Gooseneck Kettle if:
- You are serious about pour-over coffee.
- You want to try different brewing recipes.
- You are ready to spend more money on a peculiar kettle.
A Gooseneck Kettle doesn’t add any significant value to other brewing methods like the French Press and the Aeropress, which don’t require a steady water flow over a ground coffee bed.
Moreover, although you could find electric kettles more convenient, I must tell you that stovetop gooseneck kettles are more affordable than electric ones. For this reason, I included both electric and stovetop pour-over kettles in this review. However, all of them have a built-in thermometer because monitoring temperature is essential to make good pour-over coffee.
Best Gooseneck Kettles
Fellow Stagg EKG Electric Pour-Over Kettle – The Winner
Fellow is one of my personal favorite brands because it offers top quality, innovative design, and excellent customer service. Moreover, with their Fellow Stagg EKG Electric pour-over kettle, they offer outstanding aesthetics and functionality.
- Accurate temperature control is a useful feature for an electric kettle. The temperature gauge is easy to read, and most users claim that it has a very accurate built-in thermometer.
- Most users assert that it heats the water quickly.
- It’s gorgeous and comes in different colors, although the most prevalent is the matte black version. Still, it’s great for people who love creating a beautiful setup with matching colors.
- Excellent Customer Service. Most users claim that Fellow’s customer service is outstanding. It’s a significant feature considering its high price tag.
- It’s impossible to ignore that this kettle can cost twice and even three times more than other decent and even suitable kettles with similar features. We admit that it looks great and creates a high-end atmosphere around it. That’s impossible to overlook. However, the price can seem unnecessarily high, as many users claim.
- Several users complain about a few relevant functionality issues. This kettle doesn’t beep when it reaches the desired temperature, and it can glitch when it has a low level of water. I got absorbed by my morning coffee ritual, so I don’t find any trouble with the lack of notifications, but many users report it as a problem.
OXO is another favorite brand for coffee lovers. Their Electric Gooseneck Kettle looks elegant, and according to most users, it has a superior performance and construction quality.
- Most users claim that it’s easier to control the pour with this kettle, thanks to its gooseneck spout design. Furthermore, it’s slightly heavier than most kettles, which helps to balance it easier.
- The build quality is impressive. There isn’t almost any plastic part in contact with water, and overall it’s mostly steel-made. Additionally, it’s easy to clean thanks to its wide lid opening.
- The user experience with temperature control is outstanding. I love this feature because pour-over coffee requires a lot of attention to detail, and I value having a thoroughly pleasant experience. The temperature gauge, the built-in timer, and the dial are sleek. Finally, it beeps when reaching the desired temperature. Many users value this feature.
- The warranty and customer service are a plus. Most users feel happy about it. OXO tends to offer an extended warranty and excellent customer service.
- Compared with the Bonavita and other decent kettles, the OXO BREW has a hefty price-tag. I would consider it as an excellent alternative to the pricier Fellow Stagg EKG. However, it is still more expensive than most competitors.
- You’ll need to be very careful with the water level. Many users claim that the lid can move if you pour over too quickly. Furthermore, water can leak through it when it’s full. So, I recommend avoiding filling it to the top to prevent undesired risks.
The first time I researched coffee kettles I didn’t find anything about the Ovalware Electric Gooseneck Kettle. Yet, earlier this year I noticed this kettle was getting positive feedback.
When comparing its price with other kettles in this review, it seems a budget pick. However, it offers high-end features like a hold mode, easy-to-read temperature display, and timer, as well as a sleek design.
We can’t say is the best pour-over kettle on the market because it doesn’t have enough feedback yet. However, it’s a promising product it manages to keep high-quality standards at its current price point.
- Although subjectivity plays a major role in judging appearances, the Ovalware kettle looks elegant and modern.
- This kettle has a high-quality body. According to the company and user’s comments, all parts in contact with water are made of stainless steel.
- It features a hold mode that keeps the water at the desired temperature for 10 minutes. I love this function because you don’t need to stare at the kettle until it reaches the temperature.
- The base is practical. It’s easy to set and read the desired temperature, and the built-in timer is sharp as well.
- The Ovalware Kettle is very affordable for an electric pour-over coffee kettle. Considering that it offers a good set of advanced features, it’s great value for the price.
Some users complain about an error when the water level is below the minimum level. Although most customers claim that is a great quality product, such a repetitive complaint raises a few questions.
The first time I brewed coffee with a V60, I used a Bonavita Electric Kettle. I must confess that I didn’t love the way it looks, but it’s straightforward to handle, comfortable, and functional.
- It’s safe and comfortable. I don’t love how the handle looks, but it works. It doesn’t matter how hot the water is, it protects your hands very well. Additionally, it’s relatively easy to use.
- The Bonavita offers all you need as its most basic. When we used our checklist, we marked all of the critical features for the Bonavita Electric Kettle. Its built-in thermometer is reliable, has a built-in timer, and heats water quickly. Additionally, a 1-liter capacity is enough, even for small groups.
- A great plus is the preset temperature feature because it helps with brewing consistency over time.
- It doesn’t look great. Perhaps it’s because of the plastic handle, which is very good to protect your hands, but it looks a bit off. Additionally, the panel looks vintage. Overall, if you want to build a nice brewing setup at home, I wouldn’t recommend the Bonavita Electric Kettle.
- For some reason, there is plastic inside the kettle close to the heating element. Although we are sure that’s safe, we don’t love the idea. Moreover, many users complain about it as the plastic parts in contact with the water seem to deteriorate over time.
- Some users complain about a rusting issue. It’s surprising, but I have seen several “stainless steel” kitchenware presenting this issue. While some users complain about limescale, I suspect that it depends more on the water quality than the kettle alone. For this reason, Bonavita recommends descaling the Electric Kettle periodically.
Compared with other brands in the coffee gear market, Brewista could be considered a newcomer. Yet, its Artisan has received good feedback and many cafés use this kettle for heavy work. According to most users, it has decent performance and good build quality. Moreover, with its most recent version, it looks impressive and has a larger capacity.
- Personally, I love its tempered glass platform and the touch-screen panel. Most users claim it’s easy to use.
- Many users value its beeping feature. As I said before, I don’t care too much about it, but it’s a killer feature for many people.
- It looks great and comes in different colors. Most users like its elegant and neat design. Although some users don’t like that the wood-looking bits are made of plastic, I think that designers chose it over wood for a good reason.
- Some users claim it isn’t as durable as its competitors.
- Several users complain about losing heat quickly and that’s harder to handle than other kettles, like the Bonavita.
We found out about the COSORI brand while researching the Best Electric Gooseneck Kettle available. It’s a relatively unknown brand, but I found hundreds of positive comments by verified users. In this regard, the COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle is an excellent option for a pour-over coffee beginner or a coffee lover that prefers convenience instead of attention to detail. So, if you don’t like to be constrained by pre-set temperatures, just omit the COSORI. You’ll find your best choice among the other Electric Gooseneck Kettles I described previously.
- It’s easy to choose your brewing temperature since it comes only with five variable presets. It is a valuable feature for convenience-oriented coffee lovers because you will only need to press a button to set the desired temperature. Yet, it can be too limited for detail-oriented users – like me.
- It beeps gently, according to most users. It’s good enough to manage your morning routine without generating too much distress around it. Additionally, you can choose to deactivate it anytime you want.
- It’s affordable. As I said before, if you aren’t worried about controlling temperature by the degree, this might work for you as the five presets are useful for the most common coffee brewing methods. Additionally, they include temperatures that work well to prepare tea. I’d say that’s a nice touch.
- Some users complain about the beeping system’s durability. So, if you love that feature, you might prefer the OXO BREW, which seems to be more durable in general.
- I have found mixed opinions about the COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle’s build quality, and when in doubt, I consider that a con. I don’t want to compromise quality, especially when we are talking about drip coffee.
It offers a more traditional look with a neat build and performance. The Barista Warrior brand is a newcomer in the Specialty Coffee Arena, but it provides one of the best stovetop gooseneck kettles in the market.
- It can work on stovetops and induction hot plates. Versatility is a very nice feature because a gooseneck kettle is a lifetime investment.
- Sturdy and high-quality construction. Most details are in place, and users claim it’s quite durable and reliable. Its solid bottom holds the temperature long enough for a good pour-over brewing experience.
- It weighs about 1.6 pounds, which is very good for camping and traveling.
- The thermometer doesn’t resist too much steam. Many users complain that plastic on top of the thermometer melts. Arguably, it’s better to avoid boiling temperatures with this or any kettle, as most brewing recipes recommend between 197 °F (92 °C) and 205 °F (96° C). However, we would expect that some steam shouldn’t wear or damage anything in the kettle.
- Several users claim that the lid gets too hot. It can be pretty awkward, as most of us learn to hold the top of the kettle with the supporting hand, so you’ll need a heat resistant mitt to handle it.
It has a unique design, with significant modifications and a sturdy build.
- It’s designed to be filled and check the temperature smoothly. This feature adds superior functionality for a relatively affordable and straightforward pour over kettle.
- The silicone sleeve adds a lots of comfort and safety. Most users claim that it’s high quality and very helpful.
- It can work in most kitchens, like stovetops, gas, ceramic, and induction ones – among others.
- It can be hard to clean, as the thermometer can get in the way when trying to reach the insides to wipe it thoroughly.
- The handle tends to get hot when the kettle is full, according to several users. Yet, as with any stovetop brewing device, it’s better to avoid large stove eyes and turning the flame too high. I have burned dozens of kitchenware handles, making that mistake. My victims include Moka pots, pans, and kettles, among others. I wouldn’t blame the manufacturer for that, but it’s something worth mentioning.
My clear favorite and winner is the Fellow Stagg EKG because it offers an outstanding balance between design, functionality, and performance. The best alternative is the OXO BREW, which is more affordable and offers great features.
Overall, any of the selected kettles can deliver at least a decent performance brewing pour-over coffee. They offer good build quality and allow to control temperature, with a wide range of features. Yet, both of these critical features are superbly displayed by the Fellow Stagg EKG, with the OXO BREW as a close contender.
As with anything, I would recommend you to choose following your heart between these two. Or just pick the one you think looks better!